Monday, December 6, 2010

Dear Chicken, We Need to Talk

S'up Yo!
How's everyone making out today? Things are good out here, the last few days have been quite productive & busy. Friday night I set the goal of getting down to bidness, and getting the majority of my Christmas shopping done. I set a plan, and executed it to a T, in cahoots with my fellow power-shopper E.M. We shopped like we were waging war. 3 hours, a handful of stores, mayjah power walking, pouring rain, and we gotterdone. I was exhausted by the end of it! But I know one little girl who is gonna SQUEAL when she sees a Barbie van on Christmas morning....

Anyway, as we all know, you gotta fuel up for shopping, right? Well the eats were super-clean all day Friday, I was feeling good. We got out to the shopping place and decided to sup at the Swiss Pigeon (aka Swiss Chalet), with all it's chickeny-frenchfryee-saucy goodness. I eat there MAYBE once every year or two. I was looking forward to it. I ate that chicken, sauce & french fries like it was my job, it didn't stand a chance. But by the next day, I was ready to quit that job on the spot. Why did I eat that chicken? Why in God's name is it so frickin' MOIST?! Ugggh... I was not feeling the love let me tell ya. It's kinda like those rotisserie chickens you can get at the Cottage, they're like, all yummy when you're eating it, and afterwards you feel like you've had a paraffin wax treatment on your hands they're so oily and, er, moisturized.

This was all exacerbated by a conversation between me and the lovely E.M. about a novelty chicken product she had seen in a flyer (and to her credit, would NEVER buy, much less eat as she is a chef extraordinaire and Natural Food Champion). Ok are you ready for this? Here is the 'product' in question (note that I don't use the word 'food').

Chicken. Shaped like a slice of bread. That you put in your toaster to 'cook'. And then people eat it.

WTF?! If I could make the caps any larger they would be. I am gobsmacked and appalled by this idea. IT'S AGAINST NATURE. And to top it off, I feel like everywhere I go, all I see are billboards by McSpew with a picture of chicken nuggets and the tag line: "Seasons Dippings". I ralph.

Anyway, I know it's not poor Chicken's fault. Not at all; this is a waaayyyy bigger conversation that involves factory food and hormones in animals and that kinda stuff. Not gonna go into it here. But needless to say, Chicken and I are going to go on a 'break'. And let me be clear; the break from the white meat has nothing to do with guilt or worrying about calories or whatever. Seriously. I'm just kind of over it as far as the bird goes. I still eat meat, or whatever else I feel like. It's just right now, I don't really feel like eating too much chicken.

So with that said, what's on the MENOO this week? I'm thinking:
-Veggie Thai Green Curry & fresh salad rolls
-Basil & Spinach Pesto with Soba noodles( I seriously need to use this basil before it goes bad)
-Vegetable Shepherd's Pie, Halloumi-Spinach Salad
-Omellettes, Herbed Roasted Potatoes, Steamed Veg
-Indian Feast!
-Leftovahhhhs

You guys got anything yummy on the go that you want to share? I'd love to toss it up a bit so if you have something yumptious then let me know!

There may or may not be an Eggnog Martini making an appearance this Friday when we get our tree and decorate it. Just sayin. Anyone got a good recipe for one? When the Bean was wee, she tasted Eggnog in her sippy cup, she must have been almost 2. (Don't worry, I went easy on the spiced rum.) But she loved it. She called it Eggymuck, because her pronunciation wasn't fully developed, and when she wanted regular milk she would ask for her Muck in a cup.....The Eggymucktini. Sounds so, exotic/weird. But I think it'll be good....

In other news, highly entertaining session at the gym the other day in the cardio section. It was like gym karaoke. A lady on an elliptical adjacent to me had her headphones in, and proceeded to start singing at the top of her lungs. I don't know if she knew she was doing it. At first it was kinda weird, but then I started to enjoy it. She was sweating, moving, had a smile on her face, and was obviously enjoying herself while being active. I'm down with that.

Anyhoo, I got some things to take care of so I'm out for now. You guys have a great day, talk at ya later!
xoMelissa

2 comments:

  1. I like to buy my chickens whole from a happy farm. That way I know they've played their little hearts out before I "welcome" them to my kitchen. They certainly don't fit in a toaster.
    I think eggnog martini's sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggymucktini

    All over it!

    ReplyDelete