Monday, November 29, 2010

Weekend Retox & Protein Bars

Allo Bonjour!

How's your week getting started- good I hope? I'm doing good, after Retoxing (as opposed to De-toxing) all weekend, I am glad to be starting the week off on a positive note. I had one of those weekends where, if it wasn't nailed down, it was going into the Olde Pie Hole, let me tell ya. You ever have that kind of day/weekend/week/life? No? Well bully for you, wish I could say the same for myself....From time to time it's liberating to just relax and eat whatever you want. Although with that said, I know for me, it makes me feel like crap physically and emotionally. And they say that food doesn't affect how you feel- what a load!

So I resolved to get back on track starting immediatement; a monster green juice helped this morning, followed by a home-made protein bar after training a client this morning. The recipe will follow! The slow cooker has a lovely veggie chili bubbling away inside, and I plan to have a large plate of crudite and PC Edamame Dip for lunch...I feel better already!

Aside from eating like a little piggie all weekend, we did have a good one. Yesterday the three of us attended Mama Mia, courtesy of my incredibly thoughtful Mother in Law. And Brad grinned and beared it- I think he enjoyed it more than he let on. Never mind about quiche- Real Men Listen to Abba I say!

Hey so you like my pic? This is me on Thursday night attending a fancy shmancy work function with Brad. And apparently, I was doing my best to impersonate a politician or Barbara Bush. Huh. Whatever. It'll do for now til hopefully Santa brings me a better camera and I can start doing more in the photo department....

Speaking of Christmas, tis the Season eh! And I don't mean like we already have our tree or lights up- at least not for a few more weeks. Tis the Season to PLAY THE SANTA CARD! Woohoo! If any of you have kids you may already employ this tactic to ensure good behaviour with your kids. Or maybe you don't...but I do! I play that card like I'm in a life or death game of Poker, fo sho. Bring it on! Santa is watching! He's like a Festive Big Brother who is all-seeing. I love it! His omnipresent self gets us one step closer to the All Seeing Easter Bunny...he's twitching his little pink nose and watching YOU with his beady red eyes, muah haha!

Ok enough shenanigans, let's talk about snacks. Here is a recipe for Protein Bars (all natural, and Raw) that I think are delish. You need at least 4 minutes to make them ok? So be ready.

Ingredients:
-1/4 cup coconul oil
-1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
-1 mashed ripe banana
-1/2 cup shredded coconut (I prefer unsweetened, but fill your boots with the sweetened if you like)
-1/2 cup chocolate chip (I use this measurement loosely, as I belong to the 'no measure' school of baking with chocolate chips)
-1/2 cup maple syrup
-1/2 cup all natural peanut or almond butter
-2-4 scoops of your favorite protein powder
-2 TBS Chia or Salba seeds
-1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
- Blend or stir coconut butter with banana till well combined. Don't worry about coconut butter lumps, I swear you won't taste them in the bars. But if they freak you out, use a hand mixer to break them up.
- Add all other ingredients and stir until well combined. If the mixture is super dry, add a splash (not too much!) water to moisten a bit.
- Take a small square brownie pan and line with wax paper. Then spoon the batter in and level it out. Wrap plastic wrap over top, then pop in the freezer for about an hour, till getting quite firm (but not totally frozen).
- Remove from freezer, pop the whole thing out of the pan, and cut into bars. Store in a tupperware container in the freezer, and let thaw for 5 minutes before eating.

Nutritional Info:
- I have no idea!? But they are tasty, and you can easily fiddle around with the ingredients to modify. For example, take out the chocolate chips (yes, i did just say that), and add raisins and cinammon, little chunks of apple. Or add goji berries, or whatever. It'll be yummy, I promise. I think these are a great snack anytime, and are great after excercise. After you workout, you have about 45 minutes to get something into ya that is a good mix of protein and carbs. Otherwise your muscles will turn to whatever is on hand (e.g. themselves) to feed themselves and rebuild. Don't waste all your hard work- eat something healthy stat after excercising, mkay?

So the rest of the day is going to be busy, with errands and running around, not to mention the rest of my cardio workout- mountain climbing. The fearsome Mt Laundry must be conquered. I may require oxygen and a sherpa but I will persevere and summit to the end....wish me luck....

Have a great day yo!
xoMelissa

No comments:

Post a Comment