Monday, November 8, 2010

While My Spandex Lightly Slept

Happy Monday Everyone!
NO really, Happy Monday!

So far this day is going great at my end, I got to start my day with something that's been missing for the last 7 days. I didn't want to mention it before, after all my grand statements about trying to go Vegan for a week, and we all know how that ended up....me being Vegan for 8 hours and then totally falling off the wagon.

But I made a decision last week that I needed to take a real break from excercise, particularly the weightroom. The decision caused me some anxiety, only because the gym is such an integral part of my life. I'm not talking about stressing about calories or energy expended, or gaining weight or anything like that. But, I drink coffee every day, I brush my teeth, I eat cheese, I drink wheatgrass, and....I excercise about 6 days a week. It's not a compulsion, it's a passion for me. I love the way excercise makes me feel while I'm doing it, and how it sets the tone for my day. With all of that said, I was starting to feel like it was time for a break. The week before, after my workouts, I wasn't feeling energized, I was feeling tired. I wasn't feeling motivated at all, I was irritable when I was there, and basically I just wasn't feeling the love. This isn't my normal state as far as the gym is concerned...so I knew that the time had come to take a full-on break. And I did it. Probably sounds lame, but it was a challenge for me.

The first few days off were fine, no problemo. By day 4 I was starting to feel like a junkie in need of a fix. I hungrily eyed dumbells in Walmart. I sighed as I passed fitness clothing stores. I didn't even walk past the gym, it would have been too much. I heard some of the songs on my Ipod that I listen to during workouts and I felt nostalgic. Yes, I am a dork. And so, as my Luon and Spandex gently slept for the week, I ate the way I usually do (like a piglet), rested, and within days my energy came back and I started feeling like my old self again. I burst into the gym this morning with more energy than I left with and killed a shoulder, ab & short cardio workout, with a smile on my face I was so happy! Even the guy who appeared to be trying to take an upper body shower in the water fountain (don't even ask) brought a smile to my face instead of running to the locker room for a good dousing of Purel. Ahhh. It's good to be back!

Our weekend was a busy and social one, with lots of rain (yuck), but lots of family time and hanging with friends (yahoo!). My friend JH made us an extraordinary, life changing Grilled Halloumi Salad with Caper-Lime Vinnaigrette. I must resolve to eat more Halloumi, there's nothing like it...salty, firm, squeaky, almost like the meat of the cheese world due to it's unique texture, it's gorgeous in a sandwich too. And now the Superstore carries it, so Halloumi For Everyone! Shall I post a version of the salad? Anyone innerested???


Speaking of food, this week's menu is all about the yummy:
-Cashew-Basil Pesto on Soba Noodles, topped with cherry tomatoes
-Kale & Brown Rice Gratin
-Spelt Pizza with Grilled Veg & Goat Cheese (and Hawaiian for the Bean and Brad)
-Stuffed Peppers
-Azuki Beans with Squash, Kombu & a side of Quinoa
- I think this is quite enough! There'll be leftovers to carry us through to the weekend...

The rest of the day today will involve experimenting with a Chocolate Coconut Flour Cake recipe (I'll let ya know), picking up my Sweetie Pie from school, setting client appointments, and a trip to Costco & Hell on Earth (Walmart) for some Personal Training supplies. I'm sure after all that, the pesto & pasta and a glass of Banrock Station Shiraz will be required.

How's your week looking so far? At least it's not a full week right? I hope you all have Thursday off too?

And now I must Away To The Kitchen, coconut and chocolate are calling my name....
Have a great one!
xoM

3 comments:

  1. It's Monday right? are you saying you're having wine tonight? Well this is the best blog EVER. I can say to myself ''Well, Melissa is having one too!'.
    Great blog. I'm enjoying reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you took some time to rejuvinate, like all things, moderation is necessary, and if you body was screaming for rest, it really needed it!

    Supper tonight sounds fab, and I just have to say, the kale and brown rice gratin was amazing. Such a treat, even A&A loved it. I had sooo little cheese in the house, but I'd imagine topped wiht a good bit of cheese would be delish. Seriously, you are gonna love it!

    Ummm do you know what umeboshi plums are? And where I can get some? (meant to ask yesterday)... Pete's maybe?

    Good luck baking :) And glad you are having a happy day
    xoA

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmm, can you come cook for me? or i'll come to you. after all, we have a long history of cooking together and some of these dishes i've never tried!
    umeboshi:salted plum??

    ReplyDelete