Saturday, March 19, 2011

Slow Cooker Italian Veggie Stew

Hey There!
How are ya now? I am working this afternoon on a bunch of excercise plans for clients, but wanted to take a quick break to put up a post with a recipe that got rave reviews chez nous this week. I'd like to post again with an excercise too- did anyone try the ab thingy? How did you make out with it? Next up: the Bingo Wing Blaster...stay tuned....

So, some nights around here are a little hairy, especially when I teach my evening classes. Those are the days I like to haul out the slow cooker and throw something in it in the morning, that everyone can enjoy for supper, even if our mealtimes are a bit staggered. I do love the slow cooker and I feel it's pretty hard to go wrong with it; you simmer anything for 8 hrs and chances are, it's going to taste pretty good.

A word about the recipe though...I feel a bit sheepish because it uses a premade spice mix, which contains corn starch & maltodextrin (which is made from corn starch too). Kinda lame, I know, but you know what? I personally don't feel like it's the end of the world. You can decide for yourself whether you want to try it. Meantime, I will wait with Bated Breath to see if the Corn Starch Police come knocking on my door.

Italian Vegetable Slow Cooker Stew:
Ingredients
-1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into chunks about the size of golf balls. Cept more square
-1 large onion, chopped
-2 Large Red Peppers, seeded & chopped into thick slices
-1 Can White Kidney Beans, drained & rinsed
-1 Large Can Stewed Tomatoes of your Choice (I used organic with basil)
-1 Cup Vegetable Stock
-1 Envelope McCormick Slow Cooker Italian Herb Chicken Seasoning
Directions:
Throw all ingredients into a large slow cooker. Stir to combine and break up any spice clumps. Set slow cooker on 'low' for 8 hrs, cover with the lid, and get on with the rest of your day. The real directions on the package call for Chicken (we're still only seeing each other casually so I decided to NOT use chicken for this stew) as well as mushrooms, which I would rather bleed from the eyes than eat, but you can pop some into the stew if they're your bag.

I enjoyed this stew topped with a bit of fresh parm & a slice of crusty country-style bread spread with a bit of soy-free Earth Balance. Yum. The Bean gave it two thumbs up too....

Alright, I'm out. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, ours is off to a great start so I know we will! See you next time...
xoM

No comments:

Post a Comment