Saturday, March 26, 2011

BINGO! Wings, that is....

Happy Weekend Everyone!
Hope you're having a great day, and doing something you enjoy, and hopefully you have the day off from a paid job? I'm having a pretty perfect day. Spent the morning with some of the most hardworking clients ever, I am inspired by them every single time I am with them. Not to sound like a pollyana, but how did I ever get so lucky? Like, how many people get to say that they truly adore their 'job' and are chomping at the bit every day to do it? I feel so blessed this way.

So now I'm home, baking with The Bean, and doing a little prep for (breakfast)dinner tonight- eggs with fresh tomato & bean refritos, alongside goat cheese Ezekiel quesadillas- yum, yo! And what breakfast (I mean dinner) would be complete without a little Las Moras Chardonnay, hmmmm? That'll be for later....As I sautee the beans, tomatoes, cumin, onion & cayenne, The Bean alternates between balancing on my new Bosu Ball and having her polly pockets attempt death defying feats off of it, way to go Bean for getting fitness into the Polly's shallow little rubber lives...

Alright, so I wanted to post a little excercise sumthin sumthin for ya's today. It's a little move I like to call the Bingo Wing Blaster. Don't know what a Bingo Wing is? Raise your arm overhead vigorously and shout: "BIINNNGGGGOOOO!" like you've just won a round of the game. Oh! What's that? What is that loose skin flapping around on the underside of your upper arm? Those, my friends, are your Tricep muscles, known by all of us, referred to by some of us as The Bingo Wing. Here's one way to wrassle those little chickies into tip top shape as tank top season draws near.

Tricep Pushups:
- Lie on your side in a straight line, preferably on a carpet or padded yoga mat. Rest your head on the ground, and stack your legs and feet one on top of the other. You should have one arm free along the upper edge of your body, the other parallel to your body on the floor.
-Take that bottom arm and wrap it around your waist area, giving yourself a little 'hug'. Cozy, right? Enjoy it while you can, the fun is about to start.
-Take your 'top' arm, bend at the elbow, and place that hand in the vicinity of your face/shoulder region, palm flat on the ground. Your elbow should be pointing towards your feet.
-Now, push UP! And come back down. This pushup manoevre activates the tricep muscles. You'll know it when they start to quiver. Start with 1,3, 5 or 10- whatever your ability is. Here's the thing: by the end of each 'set' it shouldn't feel like the back of your arm is going to spontaneously explode. It should feel fatigued and quivery (note scientific physical fitness term), so however many it takes to get to that point, that's how many you should be doing- whether it's 1 or 20. Take a break then flip over and do it on the other side. Try for two sets on each side.
-Here's how to stretch out those triceps after completing the excercise: in a seated or standing position, reach one arm directly overhead. Bend at the elbow and reach your forearm down behind your head & neck. Use the other hand to gently press down on the bent elbos until you feel a gentle stretch. Repeat on the other side.

Ok well I hope you enjoy the excercise and that your weekend is an outstanding one! The next post, I am excited to announce will be a Guest Post from a dear friend of mine who somehow, I don't know how, manages to do it all- mother of three boys under 7, homeschool them, manage the household, chef it up like a pro, be a loving & supportive wife to a hardwoking husband AND make time for excercise most days of the week. She'll be joining me to talk about why excercise is so important to her, and a delish recipe for her home-made flat bread, which I may or may not have been known to eat like a little piglet, it's so good. Stay tuned!

Later!
xoMG

2 comments:

  1. OW. OK so I'm embarassed to say I only managed six on one side, five on the other. I'll go back for another rep once I type this. I'm currently suffering from a love-hate relationship with you ;) But I can see how they'd work. And I swear, I will never yell bingo and wave my arm like that again.

    We had a treat and had some nacho chips with a guacamole-bean dip for supper... a layer of black beans, layer of avacado mashed with lime juice, layer of greek yogurt (I didn't have sour cream) mixed with cumin, chili powder etc) a can of salsa verde, 3 diced tomatoes and a big of cheddar. You should come over for the leftovers... they are so damn good.

    OK I'm rambling as a means of procrastination. I'm getting back on the floor for my next rep. And get next week's sprouts on the go.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS -- just did my second rep, showed Angus and he's like "yep, that'll fix it" :)

    Looking forward to your guest post :) Tell her I said HEY!

    ReplyDelete