Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Shweddy Balls- You Know You Want 'Em

Halllloooo Everybody!
How YOU doin'? I'm great. I am really feeling the love! Let me just say, in regards to my last post; thank you so very much for reading it, and for all of the overwhelming support on it. The comments were wonderful, but the extraordinary number of private emails I received about it were truly touching. Like they made me cry. Thank you for sharing your own stories- not all of them were identical to my own experience, but just went to show that we all seem to have our 'thing' that we've been through, or are working through, or that push us to be better and work harder. I was worried about making my readers feel icky about my backstory, and stressed about whether I should post it. Thank you for making me feel like it was a positive thing. You guys rock!

Ok so a lot of the blogs I frequent have been all about protein ball recipes. Little nuggets of yummy goodness that make a great pre or post workout snack or anytime really. So I am jumping on the bandwagon and have created....my own SHWEDDY BALL recipe. If you think I'm just being a weirdo, please go to YouTube and search for the Alec Baldwin SNL skit from years ago about his 'shweddy balls'. You'll get an ab workout laughing so hard.

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:
-4 scoops protein powder of your choice (I use sprouted brown rice vanilla flavoured)
-2 TBS Almond Butter (or nut butter of your choice)
-2 TBS (heaping)Coconut Flour
-2 TBS Coconut Oil
-5 or 6 honey (or other) pitted dates
-splash of vanilla extract
-sploosh of agave, honey or maple syrup
-Chocolate chips to taste (I am a graduate of the 'don't measure chocolate chips school of thought'- like WHO would only add a TBS of chocolate chips?! Unless you don't care for chocolate, in which case I'll shut my trap now)

Directions:
In a food processor, buzz the dates till they're chopped up. Add in the protein, Almond butter, flour, oil, vanilla and process again. At this point it'll probably still be a little dry, so add in a bit of syrup. If it's STILL really dry, a splash of water to moisten it up a bit- you don't want it to be runny, but moist enough that you could form the dough into balls. At this point things are starting to get a little Shweddy. Stir in your chocolate chips, and form the dough into balls the size of golf balls. Store in the fridge. At my house, the 10 or so balls I made were gone within 12 hours. These taste like a firmer version of cookie dough, we really enjoyed them and they're bound to become a staple chez nous.

Let me know what you think! You could switch things up here; add in oats or ground flax or a combo instead of the coconut flour, or add in raisins or goji berries or something instead of chocolate chips- it's your call based on what you like. In a shweddy ball.

I'm working on a couple of other recipes that I am hoping to post too...but I need to do a little focus group testing tonight on Brad and the Bean before they're ready for primetime. Hopefully I'll have another post coming soon with said recipes!

I'm out for now, thanks for reading & for all your bloglove- the feeling is mutual!
xoMelissa

4 comments:

  1. Will try without chocolate and let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound yum..I've made so many variations of protein balls and bars over the years...some turn out great and some were tragic. But almost all of them glisten. (: I'll let you know how these fare out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, these sound awesome! May give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that skit - very funny. I'll be trying these out! Wait, damn, coconut oil and flour? Guess I'm off to Whole Paycheck, I mean Whole Foods! I do hope my balls glisten like Vals!

    ReplyDelete